Saturday, December 1, 2007

Expansions

Well since my last entry I have had 3 expansions. (14th, 19th and 26th) All have gone well physically. The doctors are happy with the progress. Here are some pictures are the implements they use to fill me.


The blue contraption is what they are able to find the magnetic center of the port with. They make an X on the center, cover the whole area with betadine. Inject the area with numbing medicine then inject it with the larger needle that is attached to the tubing and syringe. The syringe sucks up the sterile saline and pushes it into the expander. The last one we did they put 100cc into the expander per side. This whole process takes about 30 min. Fascinating I'm sure.

Due to Chemo and the lowered white cell count I will now have to gage my expansions on the up time in relation to Chemo. So instead of 1X a week it will be (if all goes smoothly) 1x every 3 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvette,
It is fascinating! Thanks for the pictures and explanation. You just gotta love needles, eh?
Sandy