Friday, November 16, 2007

Oncology

This consultation at the Oncologist, Dave Campbell, we learned about which medicines and chemo drugs I would be receiving, duration, side effects and estimated cost. We also discussed briefly what things we will need to decide on down the road. It was a long visit, 11:45-1pm, then back from 1:40-4:10pm. I will be having chemo once every 3 wks for 6 treatments. The chemo drugs are Carboplatin and Taxotere. The Herceptin (a medicine, not chemo) once a week for 15 wks, then once every three weeks for a total duration of 1 year. They are both done intravenous. The chemo visits are about 3hrs long and the Herceptin about 30min. I also need to take 2 Tylenol, 2 Benadryl, a course of Emend, and a course of Decadron, at each time of chemo. I will loose my hair 2 weeks after starting chemo. My first chemo date is Nov. 30th. The side effects are numerous, so in preparation they do some base line checks on you (blood tests and an Echocardiogram). Then they inform you of the cost of all this. (with insurance)

Needless to say I was discouraged. I needed some time to processes this. After some crying Neal suggested we watch a funny movie to lighten up the mood. Oddly enough the movie reminded me that I was not relying on God for all these concerns. He is bigger than my problems. The next morning I spent some time in prayer and quiet time. This is the scripture He gave me to hold onto: Jeremiah 17:7-8

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord
and whose hope is the Lord.
For he will be like a tree planted by the water,
that extends its roots by a stream
and will not fear when the heat comes;
but its leaves will be green
and it will not be anxious in the year of drought
nor cease to yield fruit
~
Lord, thank You for Your faithfulness, Your majesty, honor, glory, and power. You hold the oceans in the palm of Your hand and yet You are mindful of each one of us. Thank You that You love me and are so present each step of the way. Lord my hope is You. Pour out Your faith on me and allow me to yield fruit.

4 comments:

Camiva Mom said...

What a wondeful scripture our Lord gave to you, he is so faithful!

I wondered if I could take your families portrait before the 30th, let me know, and I'll come over and do that.

Love ya friend!

jewellspring said...

Wow. That's a lot to take in. Don't forget that list you're making!

I hear you have your Thanksgiving desserts all lined up! Anything else?

Teri Huffman said...

Linda and I were reading your latest news...wow, sweetie...so many things to wrap your mind and heart around. We have both been praying for you so much, and Linda has not been able to get you off her mind. God is so so faithful and I know He will continue to be as you walk through each phase. I love you and am so thankful that your treatments will not be until after Thanksgiving...EAT up girl! While your tummy will let you without feeling sick. We were wondering if you have to go to SF for your treatments? Please call if you need rides or ANYTHING...I have been listening for my bell but have not heard it...are you ringing?

Love and prayers always,
Teri (and Linda!)

Anonymous said...

I love your heart that seeks the Lord. The Lord is encouraging you through the Scripture which in turn encourages me and I'm sure many others. Thank you for writing!! God's power in you is constantly evident even in your pain. I'm praying!!!