Friday, November 16, 2007

A fill...but no lube job

Well we (a friend rearranged her day to drive me) couldn't have had better weather. It was gorgeous. Every other trip to UCSF some fog or rain has set in by the bay. This time it was just lovely. There wasn't any traffic going in. We found a parking space (feed the meter) fairly close, which would be great cause we were only going to be there about 1 hr or at the most 90 min. My appointment was at 12:45 we arrived at 12:30. Much to my chagrin the doctors were running LATE!! So I wasn't called into the exam room till 3:05. The explanation is that he was called into 2 O.R. situations. I felt awful for my friend. She of course was very gracious and flexible about the whole thing, which did relieve some of my guilt. (as if I could change things)

The actual visit with the doctor was good. He said the skin looked great and was pleased with things. He needed to palpate the area to find where the Expander had adjusted to. On the Expander he had to find the center of the port with a magnet. Mark it with an X and then inject Lidocane (sp?) in the area. "Can you feel this?" Followed by injecting a larger needle attached to a long tube and a fat syringe....Filler Up?! We cracked quite a few jokes and had some laughs and when he was done they give you a hug. Isn't that nice?! They only fill a small portion with sterile saline and then will watch to see how the skin reacts. This was not painful, I wasn't sure what to expect.

The next fill is on Monday the 19th at a different location (same doctor) so as to avoid the long wait time. This other facility doesn't have a hospital attached and only is open in the mornings. If the skin reacts well then they will feel confident to fill with a larger amount. I was out of the exam room by 3:35 pm. Then we were stuck in traffic, so I felt we deserved to stop for a good dinner. I was grateful for the ride. I was really not ready to drive that far yet and was quite in pain by the end of the day.

No comments: